These devices are small and very numerous cubes that have a different color depending on the type of emotional energy they find absorbed (Red: anger - yellow: joy - blue: sadness - purple: hate - turquoise: fear - green: anxiety). Based on observation, pixels appeared to be comprised of solid material (which may includes a processor to contain its programming) and become inert upon deactivated. While they can be dispersed into smaller forms, pixels apparently also designed to disintegrate into nothingness upon receiving sufficient damage.
Being close to strong emotional energy, these devices are able to absorb it and turn it into powerful magical energy. Depending on how much emotional energy they have, they will produce greater magical power. According to Croix's research, anger is the emotion that produces the most power.
When these artifacts are reunited, they are able to transform into different creatures under the control of Croix, including trolls, bird monsters, reptile beast, and giant spiders. They also show that they are able to enter into an object in order to manipulate it. Notable Pixel monster forms that they had are:
- Amorphous Tentacled Monster Form: To attack Akko, Lotte, and Sucy as they try to remove panels that block magic energies emanated by Luna Nova's Sorcerer's Stone at the New Moon Tower.
- Goblin Form: Posing as fake Goblin during the Faerie strike.
- Snake Form: For combating Ursula. Used during events of "Wagandea".
- Reptile Beast Form: To acquire samples of Dream Fuel Spirit and combat.
- Spider Form: To attack and restrain Akko. This form has a unique ability to fire restraining webs.
- Crow Form: For harassing civilians and attacking Sucy, Lotte, Amanda, and Jasminka during the Wild Hunt.