Sky War Stanship (空中大戦争スタンシップ Kūchū Daisensō Sutanshippu?) is the 18th episode of the Little Witch Academia anime series.
On Netflix, the episode is known as Stanship Take Off!.
An annual ghost hunting event, known as the Wild Hunt, is coming to Blytonbury for its final stage. After accidentally breaking one of her robots, Akko offers to help silent tech genius Constanze, who is participating in the hunt by invitation from Professor Croix. Constanze is reluctant to let Akko help her as she prefers to work alone, but Akko soon manages to prove herself useful by helping Constanze gather the materials needed for the battleship she intends to use for the event. On the day of the Hunt, Croix calls normal occult fanatics to the event and uses her magitronics to materialize the ghosts into bird monsters, which begin to cause havoc. Having incorporating one of Akko's own suggestions, Constanze transforms her ship into a mecha and, with the magical support of the Hunters, manages to defeat the monsters. Afterwards, Ursula confronts Croix with the knowledge that she caused the panic to gather "Fuel Spirit" from the normal people's emotional energy, but Croix confidentially dares Ursula to try and stop her.
Order of appearances
In other languages
- This episode reveals that Constanze's robot helper is called "Stanbot".
- Akko's pose before the ship's "metamor-formation" is a recurring pose in several Gainax and Trigger animations such as Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Space Patrol Luluco. It's commonly known as Gainax Pose or Gunbuster Pose (due to the pose originating in Gunbuster). Additionally, Grand Charion resembles the Ganmen from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, while the drill in particular is a reference to the Giga Drill Breaker attack. This may be considered a homage by 10th anniversary of the series, given that the studio responsible for Little Witch Academia was formed by former Gainax members (including ones who worked on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann).
- In addition to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, many of the poses Grand Charion makes during Akko's post-transformation speech are references to several older robots from the Brave series such as The Brave Express Might Gaine (though mirrored) and The King of Braves GaoGaiGar Final (as seen here), as well as Mahou Sentai Magiranger (as seen here) from the Super Sentai series.
- Its color scheme, although most likely based on Shiny Chariot, might also be a reference to the titular Gundams from the Gundam series, especially RX-78-2 Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam and other models based on it. The title "Magical Warrior" (魔導戦士 Madō Senshi ) is a direct reference to "Mobile Suit" (機動戦士 Kidō Senshi ).
- On top of that, the initial plans for the robot's ship mode have a design that has the front hull of the BBY-01 Yamato from Space Battleship Yamato, complete with the port for the Wave Motion Gun.
- At the beginning of the episode, the scoreboard in the top left shows C9 and TSM. This is a reference to the eSports organizations Cloud 9 and Team SoloMid, who have participated in several high profile eSports tournaments around the world.
- This episode takes place in December, along with "Pohjola's Trial" and "Amanda O'Neill and the Holy Grail", as stated in the chronicles book.
- Constanze's participation note for the Ghost Hunts listed the year 2017. This could mean that the Little Witch Academia TV series takes place in the year 2017, unlike the previous OVAs, which is published on 2013 and 2015 respectively.
|Sky War Stanship has an associated gallery here.|